In Lucan South Parish we have three non-Catholic primary schools which each run religion classes outside of the normal school day to allow children to receive religious education and be eligible for the Sacraments of First Penance, First Holy Communion and Confirmation. These classes are organised and run by parent volunteers in the schools with the help of the parish team in Lucan South.
Click on link below for details of the religion classes in each of the schools:
Weekly Gospel reflections for children
These reflections are designed for schools and families to help children reflect on the Gospel each week.
- First Sunday of Lent – 21st February 2021
- Second Sunday of Lent – 28th February 2021
- Third Sunday of Lent – 7th March 2021
- Fourth Sunday of Lent – 14th March 2021
- Fifth Sunday of Lent – 21st March 2021
- Palm Sunday – 28th March 2021
With the coming of Holy Week and Easter we have some additional resources to help you and your families discuss and celebrate this most important time in the Church year.
- The sign of the cross – explains the sign of the cross for children and what it means
- The story of Holy Week – children friendly telling of the Gospels of Holy week
- What happened on Holy Week worksheet – A fun worksheet to see if children can put the events of Holy week in the correct order.
- Holy Week at Home
- Holy Week at Home 2
Unlike Catholic schools where religion is integrated throughout the school day, instruction time is typically limited an hour in class once per week. For this reason, it is important that parents take on the role of reinforcing the teachings, help children to understand and practice prayers and answer any questions they may have.
Please see below a list of prayers that your child should learn at the different stages, that you can help them with at home.
Many parents find it helpful to bring children to Sunday Mass regularly as the teachings are explained again during mass. While at mass please help your child to learn the responses to prayers and ensure they know how to bless themselves.
If you feel you need support or advice with your child’s religious education support please feel free to speak to your child’s teacher or contact the Parish for guidance.